- This event has passed.
*POSTPONED* Hard Surface Tracking Seminar – November 19-21, 2013
September 25, 2013
3-Day Intensive Seminar
Introduction to Hard Surface Tracking (HST) for Police K9s
Tarheel Canine Training, Inc.
November 19-21, 2013
As urban and suburban areas are becoming more and more the place where police K9 tracking dogs are being deployed, yet many dogs through being trained only on soft surfaces may be ineffective in such environments. In this 3 day seminar, you will learn how to teach your dog to perform efficiently on hard surface tracks resulting in more apprehensions in the toughest conditions.
This class will take place over 3 working days, 24 hours of instruction, and be open to Law Enforcement/Military participants. The class will be open to up to 15 participants with K9s. Observers and supervisors are welcome to attend, and there is no limit on their attendance. The class will comprise both classroom instruction and practical work.
In this 3 day seminar students will:
• Learn the history of tracking/trailing as it pertains to Police K9s
• Understand what drives and temperament characteristics are needed to train a HST K9
• Understand how this style of tracking fits into the modern K9 environment.
• Learn a complete training progression for developing a HST K9
• Understand what equipment is required and what training aids are needed for successful training of
• Learn through hands on training how to lay tracks in a HST environment
• Understand how environmental factors affect the laying and running of HST at all levels
• Learn through hands on training how to handle their dog on HST tracks, at the critical points on the
• Learn how to read dogs in training and on HST Tracks
• Understand how to move through the training progression and troubleshoot problems
• Learn how to deploy a HST K9 in a tactical environment
Students should come to the seminar with the following equipment: a flat collar, properly fitting prong collar, 6’ leash, 15’ leash, and food for the dog. We recommend chicken hot dogs in a fairly large quantity for the 3 day seminar (3-4 large packages).
Please send this in to register for the seminar to: Tarheel Canine Training, Inc. PO Box 1694, Sanford, NC 27330. A detailed schedule of events will be provided by contact person(s) after registration has been received.
Tel # ____________________ (C) ____________________ (W)
Level of Training:_________________________________________________________
Working Spots (limited to 15 dog/handler teams ONLY): $225.
Spectator Spots (unlimited): $100 shall not be pro-rated.
$_______ is enclosed. Make Checks Payable to Tarheel Canine Training, Inc.
This release is intended to discharge Tarheel Canine Training, Inc. and their employees. owners, officers, agents, and sponsors from and against any and all liability arising out of or in connection with my participation in the tracking seminar or any of the seminar events for which I am registered or in which I am participating. I understand that serious accidents can occur during dog training, events, and other dog-related activities. Participation in such activities may occasionally result in serious personal injury and/or property damages. Knowing and appreciating such risks, nevertheless, I hereby agree to assume those risks and full responsibility for the actions of my dog(s) and myself. By signing below I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and agree to this hold harmless agreement.
Applicant’s Signature Date
Points of Contact
Jerry Bradshaw, Tarheel Canine Training, Inc. 919 244-8044, email@example.com
Amy Maxwell, (Registrations/Payments) Tarheel Canine Training, Inc. 919 774-4152, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday 22nd Meeting at 7:30am at Tarheel Canine, 230 West Seawell Street, Sanford, NC 27330.
Address: 1891 Bragg Street, Sanford, NC 27330
Phone Number: (919) 842-5600
Room cost: $ 65.90 plus tax per night
$100.00 onetime fee for pet
Holiday Inn Express
2110 Dalrymple St Sanford, NC 27330
Room Cost about $99
Address: 1403 North Horner Blvd, Sanford, NC 27330
Phone Number: (919) 774-6411
Fax Number: (919) 774-7018
Room cost: $48.00 plus tax per night Hotel Information